Tacoma Fraud Defense Lawyer
Fraud is a form of deception that includes stealing identities and manipulating others out of money/items in various ways. Fraud is everywhere, necessitating careful scrutiny and discrimination when trusting others with your assets. However, some individuals charged with fraud are not as guilty as the plaintiff may claim. Our Tacoma fraud defense lawyers can help to clear your name.
Common Types of Fraud
Though fraud can happen in a myriad of different ways, individuals often report falling victim to multiple common schemes. Our Tacoma defense attorneys have handled cases related to:
- Check fraud – Check fraud occurs when an individual pays for an item knowing that their check will bounce, or uses a forged check from another person.
- Internet fraud – This occurs when online companies sell fake, forged, or stolen items, or ask customers for payment without ever intending to send the item.
- Website hacking – Skilled hackers can trick consumers into navigating to their websites by placing trick links that mimic well-known, trusted websites. Posing as a different website, these scammers can collect credit card information.
- Charity fraud – Many criminals create fake charities to whom unsuspecting donors contribute their money.
- Work-from-home scams – An extremely big market in fraud recently is the work-from-home guise. Scammers pretend to help people work from home, promising sustainable paychecks, and stable employment. These scams often require the individual to pay for “training,” or contribute to the business in some way.
- Pyramid schemes – Pyramid schemes require victims to recruit other individuals in exchange for a monetary reward. Victims must often buy into the business or purchase some sort of starter pack. However, they must recruit an inane number of people to qualify for payment.
- Identity theft – Identity thieves steal their victims credit card information and all assets associated with their identity. This is linked to credit fraud, though credit fraud does not always imply that the scammer wishes to steal the victim’s identity.
- Insurance fraud – Insurance fraud is a common form of fraud in which the perpetrator lies about insurance-related expenses when filing a claim.
Elements of a Fraud Case
To prove the validity of a fraud case, the prosecution must
provide evidence that supports certain criteria:
- The defendant made a false claim
about something that was undeniably true.
- The defendant knew they were
providing false information.
- The defendant sought to deceive the
- The plaintiff’s statement is
- The plaintiff sustained damage from
the defendant’s false claims.
Prosecution possesses the burden of proof in providing evidence that supports each claim. However, this does not mean a defendant is completely helpless. Enlisting the help of a Tacoma fraud defense lawyer can boost your own case as you try to prove that you were not purposefully complicit in fraudulent activities.
Enlist Professional Help
The skill-set and quality of a lawyer ultimately bolster your case. A Tacoma fraud defense attorney can help clear your name by investigating your case and looking for evidence that directly contradicts the essential elements of a fraud case. For instance, a lawyer can help prove that you were not aware that you were taking part in fraudulent activity, like in the case of a Ponzi recruitment scheme. The advice and resources that an attorney can contribute to your case invaluable as they work to reduce or dismiss the plaintiff’s charges pressed against you.
Fraud is a serious infraction that can result in jail time and other associated fines. When you know you don’t possess the level of blame that the plaintiff claims, consult with a Tacoma fraud defense lawyer to discuss your options in fighting their charges.